Pages

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

My OLW

I first heard of One Little Word when I was reading over at Two Writing Teachers.  Each of the contributing writers there chooses one word to focus their lives around for the year.  This is based on the work of Ali Edwards.  Check it out here.

For the last few years, I have been fascinated by this decision, their focus.  It's a great concept.  I am indecisive and haven't taken the course, so it was fascinating and, simultaneously, intimidating to me.

This year, I'm going to give it a try.

My one little word for 2018 will be concentrate.


When I think of the word concentrate, I normally focus on the verb having to do with mental focus.  2018 will be a year for this cognitive center, to concentrate.  Many times, I find myself multi-multi-tasking.  This usually ends feeling unproductive and scattered.  In 2018, I want to slow down to go fast.  I will be present in conversations and become a better listener, concentrating on what is in front of me in that moment.  I vow to be more organized and centered in my work and play.

A concentrate of my family time is also needed.  I know that my love language is quality time.  However, my family can often be found in proximity to one another, not spending quality time together.  Instead, it has a feeling of "putting in our time".  I know that these are precious, fleeting moments with my loved ones.  I want them in concentrate.  It's not enough to have this diluted time where we are together, only as defined by space.  I want time spent together to be full of meaning and conversation, and memory making.  I want our family, each other, to be the center of our time together.

This is a year for concentrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts.