Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2022

A day by the numbers

I'm an absolute word nerd and I love numbers, too! This was a structure I wanted to try in 2019 (I wish I knew who to credit for the inspiration) but never seemed to have the day for it. Today must be that day.

Today had a weird feel...not a bad feel, not a good feel, not a comfortable feel either.  

Maybe that's it. Today felt uncomfortable. In reflection, I'm wondering why that was. 

So here are some noticings from my time in thought.

5882 steps, not close to my average of 6100+ 

I don't know why, that part of my day seemed normal...normal schedule, normal routines

5 more 5th graders marked as "independent library users" 

That book scavenger hunt is fun, but it takes so much time for one-on-one conversations and checking.

18 Kindergarten students completed their initial login into Nearpod on their iPads, using the keyboard to enter a lesson code and their name

The lessons are in digital citizenship and are aimed at safety for these first few weeks. The kids think I'm magic when I can swipe through slides on their screens using my laptop. It is magic.

278 books checked out

This also means we had about that many books checked back into the library. Today included two books with smudges (and a significant amount piled on the spine edge) of what we thought might be a sandy mud but then decided it was food of some kind and hoped it was a protein bar. It looked like baby poop which made me alternately shiver and laugh.

14 ziplock bags

The mystery substance was only the beginning of the damaged, gooey books we received today. Consequently, many students returned to class with a brand new zippy bag to store their fresh books in and protect them in their backpacks. In addition, I have decided that writing a children's book from the perspective of a library book is forthcoming and will be a best seller!

89.21 spent on Amazon to finish up my budget money for this year

Most was spent to replace damaged or lost books, but a few were titles that I just can't believe we don't have. What library exists without City of Ember or Because of Winn-Dixie? We also "needed" Owen by Kevin Henkes and The Lightning Thief graphic novel.

81.12 that actual amount of budget money I had left for this year

I am hoping to find the rest in another budget, but didn't have time to talk to my principal about it today. If not, I have a 20 in my wallet. :) I took advantage of the tax-free status and free shipping while I could.

6 hours 12 minutes is what my watch tells me I slept last night

This is probably the largest factor in the feel of any day. Sleep and I have never been the best of friends, but I recognize my need for good rest.

3/3 days posting so far in this year's challenge

It's a stronger start than I anticipated. I wasn't sure about writing this year, so I'm trying not to stress about it. If it happens, great! I'll be proud. If it doesn't, grace! I'll be understanding.


 


3 comments:

  1. A day in numbers seems like a fun post!! I might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea, and really enjoyed the personal (sleep), financial (buying books, the 20 in your pocket) and the absolutely "only a teacher would understand" (ziploc bags!) small moments you created for us. I hope you hit your sleep magic number tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fun structure! I'll have to try it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts.