Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Dreaming? SOL#22

This is weird. I know I'm dreaming because whatever was just happening (and it seemed to make sense) has changed into me holding an animal. These pets are new, I'm thinking. This dream just changed, turning into something that doesn't go with the part before. What is happening? I am dreaming, of this I'm sure. Do I need to wake up? The animals are not my pets. There are little dogs and cats too, but none of them look like mine. I'm cuddling a bunny like a tiny, soft baby. If we are going to eat these rabbits, I can't make them into pets. I'm thinking through this and trying to make sense of it.

There is a noise. I can't find it. What's that noise? Am I still dreaming? The noise is loud, but I can't identify it. I think I need to wake up. Wake up! Find out what is making that noise. It sounds like a problem.

I open an eye, left then right. The button on my watch illuminates the screen. It's so very, blindingly bright. 4:22am. Why am I awake at 4:22?

There's a tearing sound. Something scratching and ripping...it is under my bed. What in the world could that be?!? 

The cats! Who left a cat in the house?!? It is definitely a cat. I hope it is a cat. "Here, kitty-kitty," I whisper. No cat. I fling the covers off and to the left of my body. My feet fall to the carpet, and I push myself into a vertical-ish position. "Here, kitty-kitty," I try again. Still no cat.

My eyes continue to close on their own accord. So very tired...the cat should be in the garage. It was probably D when he took out the trash. I seem to be sinking back toward the pillow. My husband must not have heard the noise. His shallow breaths are steady and restful sounding. I'll just lay here and listen for any sound again. I'm sure it was a cat. The cats should be in the garage.



4 comments:

  1. That bewildered feeling is so uncomfortable. Was it the cat? Mine would flip being in the garage. Thanks for the fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried to describe this weird space between awake and asleep where I can talk myself into the best and worst of anything. You have captured that so perfectly here, out of dream to almost lucid to back to sleep. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Morgan that you have captured that quasi-awake moment perfectly. The confusion and repetition are spot on. So many lingering questions… well done! But really, I want to know more about the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat scratches under the bed are a very specific sound.. especially when there is more than one!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts.