Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2020

We Finally Did It

#SOL20 Day 14

Well, we finally did it.

After weeks without shopping, today, we finally went out into the world of retail. 

Of course we had no prediction of the frenzy that was this week.  It was our last week of the quarter at school, leading up to Spring Break.  The week was full of night activities, and the one night we had open I wasn't marginally motivated enough to go out into the world.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, we are planning to spend Spring Break in the camper.  Provisions are needed. 

We are a family of 6; two parents, four sons.  By no means were we starving or going without in much of any way to mention.  I mean, we are a large family, so I buy in bulk often and have a substantial monthly Amazon Subscribe and Save delivery.  However, produce doesn't keep long and we eat some tonnage of fruits and veggies, fresh is favorite.

The good news is, we took inventory of toilet paper before leaving the house, and lucky for us, 11 rolls will be plenty.  This is one time I am most happy to have a house full of boys.

Todd and I traveled down the road about 20 minutes to the nearest Sam's Club.  It seemed pretty much like a normal Saturday morning there, busy but not crazy.  On the other hand, there were no tissues, toilet paper, or paper towels.  Same at Aldi in our little town.  "Did you look for paper towels?" Todd is curious about the madness but also doesn't want to have to be involved.

I answered, "Nothing there, not even empty pallets.  It's weird."

We essentially got all we needed while we were out.  People were making eye contact and greeting each other.  Most everyone was utilizing the Handi-wipes on the cart handles.  Todd and I used hand sanitizer after each store visit, so that was different.  It wasn't my most unpleasant shopping trip.

Now, I'm packing the camper, and the boys are all watching War of the Worlds.


6 comments:

  1. It is very weird! Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the toilet paper thing really baffles me. Fortunately and coincidentally, I stocked up the end of last month, before we knew toilet paper was going to be a thing. I'm glad you got all the rest of your shopping done, and have a great time on your camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. War of the Worlds - Excellent movie and story! Lucky boys! I have four children too (3 girls and 1 boy). We have 36 rolls of toilet paper. We are ready. Is it strange that I was more concerned about beer and meat than I was with toilet paper? Maybe it is because I am a boy.:) Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a half of a beef in the chest freezer and a couple deer in the other freezer. We needed fiber. HA!

      Delete

Please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts.