Pages

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Beauty, the Beast, and Superheroes 15/31 #SOL17

Next weekend, my aunt, Anita, turns 50 years old.  This deserves its own post that I'm not quite ready to write yet.

My mom, sister, and I will gather in the center of the state to celebrate with our family, mostly the women.  Since we had a reason to get together, we decided to get to Columbia early to take in the new Beauty and the Beast movie in a matinee showing.

I remember seeing the animated Beauty and the Beast for the first time.  We didn't go to the theater.  Instead my siblings and I opened the VHS for Christmas (in what I am guessing had to be 1992).  Before seeing the movie, I had the audio soundtrack (cassette) playing constantly, flip, play, flip, play.  The movie was beautiful.  It was all I imagined it would be and more.  The characters, so easy to love, had spectacular personality.  It was funny, enough to make me giggle lots.  It was a little scary when the villagers hunt the beast and in the woods when the wolves are inches away from taking a bite of Belle.  My favorite part was the feast, where all the dishes are the servants and chefs and cooks.  The whole idea just swept me up, right off my feet.  I was completely in love with it all.

This new, live action movie will be grand, I'm sure of it.  I am most excited about seeing it with my mom and sisters though.

Around here there are no princess movies.  No chick flicks.  No love stories.  Around here, we have superheroes.  All the Marvel comic movies and DC superstar stories.  Oh, there might be a little romance here or there, but nothing real, nothing girlie.

I'm ready for some girl time, for a tale as old as time, Beauty and the Beast.


1 comment:

  1. You made my heart soar! I can relate to that special "girls at a show" time. My grown daughters and I celebrate everything this way. Great piece!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts.