Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Weird energy

#SOL20 Day 12

Because the entire staff was in an early meeting before school that went a little long, the kids poured into the building like a blast of air, pushing me back, into the wall.  "Good morning!" I sing-song to them.

The throngs of students glide in on a wave of weird energy.  As I'm trying to greet them, "corona" hits my ears more times than I can count.  Our district had to put a statement out because three kids were being tested after traveling abroad.  Although they have no symptoms and are self-quarantining, their situation has caused some panic.  It seems to have hit much harder than I would have ever imagined.

"Boys, walk to be safe.  Please keep your hands to yourself," my daily reminders float across the ocean of heads.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Culbertson.  We won't touch each other because we don't want to get corona!" one boy shouts back to me, walking backwards and making his buds snicker.

I'm so surprised by all this corona virus talk, I have no response.  I think I gave him a look, but I'm not sure which look.

After the crowd is contained inside the building, my other morning duty fellows and I gather for our daily walk in.  We chat about the excitement we all sensed.  Then I say, "I wasn't expecting all the corona talk from the kids this morning."

My friend responds, "This is a quickly changing situation."

You can say that again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to let me know your thoughts.