#SOL20 Day 23
When I got up this morning, I had to decide which shoes to wear. How do I want to walk a mile? Do I look at the world with worry and fear, or am I strong in my faith and grateful for the days I have? I'm trying on the latter. They seem to fit just fine!
Today, I got to go to school for four hours (see what I did there). Our Spring Break is officially over, so we begin our COVID-19 closure today.
Over the past few days, although technically on break, teachers have been collaborating to build learning choice boards for families to use while we are closed. I am continually impressed and impacted by the actions, thoughts, and words of my teachers. This experience upped the level exponentially.
Anyway, today I find myself in a mostly empty school where I am collaborating with teams virtually for the most part. We designed a product that is friendly and full of good ideas. We did the best we could, as I know all educators are.
Here are some things from my four hours at school that I will choose to see as a "fun thing".
1. I was in a rock and roll mood and blared my "Pat Benatar Radio" for all to appreciate...all, meaning me.
2. I left the doors to my room wide open, knowing I wouldn't bother anyone and no one would bother me.
3. I went to the bathroom twice---in four hours!
4. Some teachers and I had conversations that had nothing to do with school.
5. I had a cup of tea, while it was still hot!
6. I cleaned out my email. Well, I made an improvement in the inbox anyway.
7. There was ample time for me to think about some long term plans. Outside of the closure, what do I have in my control? What can I do with this "gift" of time without students?
8. I spent a little stretch of time in reflection, thinking on the big picture of my work and how I want that to look.
9. I took a deep breath and exhaled.
10. I joyously discarded the data charts that I didn't want to look at anymore. Our state testing has been canceled, and I am definitely going to see that with a sunny background and a big smile on my face.
11. I closed the doors to my room and said my goodbyes to the few here with me, packing extra bags of books. However, I'm taking some things home with a vision in my heart, not resentment.
12. We got to dress casual with sweats being acceptable since we were working through virtual collaboration most of the time. I am wearing jeans and a cozy cardigan to school. We rarely get to wear jeans. My canvas loafers are as comfy as can be.
Which pair of shoes are you wearing today?